Monday, November 30, 2009
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Saturday, November 28, 2009
A little piece of heaven
Monday, November 23, 2009
- I was able to drive 8 hours of our 12 hour road trip (our first one without Daddy)
- Not a single snowflake hit our windshield
- Not a single drop of rain came down on us
- My 3 year old was perfect. No, I'm not exaggerating! He was absolutely a dream to travel with. Not one, minute of whining or "Are we there yet?"
- To top it off, he fell asleep watching Dancing with the Stars. No bedtime battles here folks!
- The scenery was absolutely beautiful! We've had almost 2 weeks of rain in the PNW but today the heavens opened up and showed me this ALL day long
So yeah, I had a pretty good day and I'm hoping tomorrow is just as fun!
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Man, oh man, what a day. My wonderful husband of 5 years (happy anniversary honey)had prearranged to upgrade my wedding set as an anniversary present. Same style and design but a bigger setting. I turned in my old set last week and they were to do all the behind the scenes work to get it sized etc, and have it ready today. I was beyond excited is an understatement. If you could see this ring, you would understand!!
We arrived this morning eagerly awaiting my new ring. I handed over the pick-up slip and away she went to get it, 15 minutes later and she had yet to come back...I knew something was terribly wrong. She comes back to the sales counter and says they need to custom order it rather than size it up since it would alter the setting in the ring. Now, I'm not a little lady and neither are my fingers so I understood what she was saying, but it could have been told to me a week earlier when they placed the initial paperwork. Then I asked the dreaded question, how long does it take to order a custom ring? 3 weeks. My heart just sank! I tried to keep my tears in, but I couldn't. I crumbled, right there in the jewelry store.
I was so upset at the thought of being without a ring, old ring or new, for an entire month. As the wife of a truck driver, that means many days without your husband, lonely days and lonely nights. To me, my ring might mean more than the average person. It's tangible reminder of our love for each other even though we don't get to be together every day like other couples.
The poor sales lady didn't know what to do and I was on my way out to the car to gather myself when I was stopped by two employees. In reality, I did not want to talk to them, I was so embarrassed that I was crying that I just wanted out of that store. But, do you know what they did for me, little ol' me? They told me to come back tonight because they wanted to make sure I had a ring on my finger and they would size the it even though it would cause the setting to be loose and I might lose a diamond,but not to worry because they were still going to custom order me another ring. I was overwhelmed with the gesture and went home a bit happier knowing that even though it might not be a perfect ring, I would have a least something on my finger.
Fast forward to 4 o'clock this afternoon when I get a call telling me to come down to the store right away because I was not going to believe what their jeweler was able to pull off today. They cut off a a gold shank from another ring and melted it into my ring and it was absolutely beautiful. There should be no issues about losing diamonds and I don't have to wait 3 weeks for the real ring to come. I was overwhelmed, but this time with tears of joy. These two wonderful sales people went out of their way to help make my anniversary as special as we had hoped it would be. Astra and Norman, I know you will probably never read this, but you two went above and beyond to make this happen and from the bottom of my heart, I thank you.
So, you're probably wondering what kind of ring would cause me to lose it in a jewelry store. This picture from their website doesn't do it justice, the way it sparkles could light up a dark room. T
To my Big Man,
Thank you for the the best anniversary weekend ever and after nine years together, 5 of them in marriage, I would do it all over again! I love you!
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
pie tin or paper plate
plain ol', no frills white shaving cream
old rag/towel (do NOT use one of your nice hand towels)
First, you spray the shaving cream into the pie tin or paper plate. Next, you add a couple drops of food coloring of your choice into the shaving cream mixture. Feel free to mix a few colors in to make things interesting. Have your kiddo use the straw or paintbrush to mix the dye into the shaving cream creating swirl type patterns. Take your folded card stock and place one side onto the swirly mess of shaving cream, lift it up and wait 10-20 seconds then wipe it off with the towel. Voila...the swirl pattern shows up on the paper and you've got a pretty card. Grandmas will adore them and your kiddo will be proud of their work. Just a note, unlike the wonderful Crayola products, food coloring will stain clothes so I would advise wearing a smock or old clothes depending on the ability of your little artist. So next time you've got the rainy day blues and are stuck in the house give this project a try. Let me know how they turn out!!
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
So here it goes.
Now I wouldn't necessarily call myself quirky but I do have my fair share of quirky habits and I don't exactly know why but I'm going to share them with you.
- I will NOT eat any type of meat off of a bone. Chicken, nope. Ribs, nope. T-bone steak, nope. I have no issues eating meat but if I have to bite it off of a bone that would be a big no thank you from me. It started somewhere in my childhood and I've never been able to overcome it. So if you're a finger licking, bone sucking, eating fool please do not sit at my table or I might just have to barf!
- Oh, and in addition to the meat on a bone rule, don't even get me started on the grossness of chicken skin. Needless to say I would never make it as a southern girl because the sight of fried chicken would send me running the opposite direction.
- I'm a Diet Dr. Pepper addict! Seriously, I'm not going to openly admit to the amount of cans I can consume in a week because that would be embarrassing. Just know that when most people consume their morning coffee at the butt crack o' dawn, I'm drinking Diet Dr. Pepper.
- I MUST make the bed before I leave the house. It's an unwritten rule that I follow religiously (thanks a lot Mom!) Some days I wish I could just skip it and do it when I come home but I can't. I get myself all in a tizzy about running late but it's like my body HAS to do it in order to function normally the rest of the day.
- The last quirk I will bore you with is that I need the TV on to fall asleep. Something about the sarcastic background noise of Chelsea Lately (great show by the way) lulls me into lala land. What was life like before sleep timers?
So, there is a small peek into my world of wackiness and I would love it if you would give me a bit of comment love with your quirks or if you need a filler post feel free to link up.
P.S. 8 more posts until my super fun, very cute, colorful Etsy Giveaway!!!!
Sunday, November 15, 2009
Thursday, November 12, 2009
"Knock it off!"
Apparently, I don't say it very nicely because my son likes to tell his friends to "knock it off" in a rather loud and mean voice when they are fighting or not sharing. On the positive side, he knows my rules. On the negative, he's yelling knock it off at other 3 year olds, need I say more!
"Did you hear me?"
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
- Never, never, never, under any circumstances go to Chuck E. Cheese on a Saturday night!I learned my lesson last weekend and from now on I will go on my normal weekday lunchtimes to preserve my sanity.
- Have your husband hide the Halloween candy so that you don't consume mass quantities of chocolate once your child goes to bed. My stomach and my son were none too happy with my pile of empty chocolate wrappers.
- Do not forget the sippy cup of milk in the car. 2 days of forgetfulness, one look at the inside of the cup and I didn't even attempt to clean it, straight in the trash it went. So gross!
- Lastly, don't watch the Khloe Kardashian/Lamar Odom Wedding Special when your monthly visitor is in town. I was balling happy tears for this couple and realistically, I could care more about what Britney Spears found in between her toes two years ago than these two goons.
There you go, a small glimpse into my head. Kinda scary, huh!
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
For more Wordless Wednesday visit 5 Minutes for Mom, and Seven Clown Circus