Thursday, May 21, 2009

Tough on Grease, Soft on Hands!



This morning when I was getting dressed and my little boy was watching one of his fave shows, Special Agent Oso (side note-I thought it was a weird show at first, but it's grown on me)it's about a special agent bear that teaches the kids how to do new skills each week. Overall, a cute premise, but in order to gain the full depth of his comment you need a little history....

I never had a dishwasher growing up, in fact, I didn't even have one until I moved out of the dorms and into an apartment with my college roomies. It was such a novelty to not have to "wash" the dishes and let this wonderful machine do it for me. So much more time to drink too much and go to frat parties....oh, wait, I mean study and get good grades :) . Now, lets fast forward ten years, insert a hunky husband and too cute for words toddler, and come to the conclusion that I could never again go without my dishwasher. Never, ever!

Now I've trained, ahem, I mean taught my son how to put the detergent in the dishwasher, lock it and start it up (once he can load and unload I've got it made) and he's beyond excited that he's "washing the dishes." Now I know this jovial attitude will one day fade, but I am basking in all it's glory while I can.


Ok, mini history lesson over and back to regular programming.


Agent Oso, he was teaching a little kid how to wash dishes. You know the drill...use your sponge, soap, wash, rinse and repeat in the sink. Well, my son looks at me and says,


"You don't wash dishes in the sink, you wash them in the dishwasher, silly Oso."


It occurred to me in that moment that he'll never have that love/hate relationship with doing the dishes by hand and he'll never have to wash/dry dishes with a brother/ sister as a chore (unless I'm really evil). I guess it equates to when our parents walked uphill, in the snow, both ways, on the way to school. Only mine will sound a little like this, " I had to stand at the sink and put my hands in the water and use the sponge to wash the dishes and then proceed to dry them with the towel, a whole three times a day!"


0 comments: